Location: Campbell Barracks
Parts of the Hinterlandmauer
The barracks site in the south of Heidelberg covers an area of 43.4 hectares. It was founded in the late 1930s as Großdeutschland Barracks of the Wehrmacht. On March 30, 1945, US troops captured without fight the city of Heidelberg and the military facilities. 1948, the barracks were renamed Campbell Barracks and housed the headquarters of the US Armed Forces in Europe and the headquarters of the land forces of the NATO.
Due to restructuring, NATO troops were withdrawn in March 2013, the military use of the site ended in 2015. The whereabouts of the segments is unknown. Additional information can be uploaded directly to this page via a comment.
Click to enlarge:
[gallery_bank type=”images” format=”thumbnail” title=”true” desc=”false” responsive=”true” animation_effect=”fadeIn” album_title=”false” album_id=”150″]
Photo above and background:
© by United States European Command