Location: Kelley Barracks, AFRICOM
parts of the Hinterlandmauer
The former Helenen Kaserne was etablished in 1938 for the German Luftwaffe. In 1945 the Helenen Kaserne became an American Installation. In 1949 it was renamed to Kelley Barracks in honor of Staff Sergeant Jonah E. Kelley, who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in World War II. Since 2007 the Kelley Barracks have been home to the US Africa Command and are part of the U.S. Garrison Stuttgart (with another Berlin Wall memorial at the Patch Barracks).
A piece of the Berlin wall is displayed near the barracks entrance, as a reminder of the role U.S. forces played in the peaceful end of the Cold War and the unification of Germany. (Source: AFRICOM).
Click to enlarge:
[gallery_bank type=”images” format=”thumbnail” title=”true” desc=”false” responsive=”true” animation_effect=”fadeIn” album_title=”false” album_id=”274″]
Photo above and background:
© Jorge Estrada (via Facebook)